Taking Troop 619 Caving


Troop 619 is in Chester County Council, BSA in southeastern Pennsylvania. I was able to meet and go talk to them in person about caves and caving before we went on our trip underground. They are a great Troop with great leaders. I've met Ann and Raul before. They are dedicated Scouters who have a genuine interest in these youth and Scouting in general. It was a no-brainer to take their Troop on a trip that the boys came up with themselves.

When we all arrived at the cave they could hardly contain themselves. Five of them practically bursting out of the van with enthusiasm. I was a little concerned that this was their first trip and they would be apprehensive. I very quickly was relieved on this concern.

I did have some help for the day. Alex Diamond was along to make sure no stragglers were left behind and to take these guys places I can not. I also had Ed and Eliza from Philly Grotto along and helping out as well. We also had Doug Cook and a few members of Venturing Crew 51 along. Doug has caved with me before and was excited about getting a couple Crew members out and underground with us. It was a great combination of cavers.


The video gives you just a glimpse of the fun we had.





I hope that Troop 619 takes back stories and pictures to share with the rest of the Troop. Hopefully this will inspire more of them to come along and play in the mud with us the next time.

More pictures can me found here.




Be a Supporter

http://youthverticalcavinggear.mydagsite.com/ Our crowdfunding campaign is still going strong to raise money to help support a vertical caving program that will enable youth in PA, NJ, DE, and MD to safely learn and experience vertical caving. Become a supporter. Make a difference. http://youthverticalcavinggear.mydagsite.com/




Please leave an honest review below and tell us what you thought of this.


And as always, if you haven’t yet, subscribe so every episode is delivered to your in-box. Tell your friends about us. It’s the best complement we can receive.

Questions?

If you want more information about taking youth groups caving, or you’re just curious about what’s involved with getting kids underground, visit the National Speleological Society Youth Group Liaison Committee at www.caves.org/youth. Or you can email me directly at allenmaddox@youcave.org. I’d enjoy hearing from you.








Join me on Twitter @youcave. Check us out on Face Book and Google+. And share us with your friends. If you ask a question in the comment section I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Allen

“Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but well placed footsteps, kill nothing but time.” – cavers’ creed

National Speleological Society Youth Group Liaison Committee. The youth group’s connection to caves and caving.

Comments

Popular Posts